Warning: Pet peeve soliloquy to follow.
As a wedding and event planner, I have learned that so many people do not respond to the RSVP’s on their invitations. Whether and invitations says, “RSVP” or “Regrets Only” doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t respond entirely.
Being in this industry, I have learned to work on a certain percentage based off of the total number of people on the guest list. However, there are so many people who host events that don’t utilize a planner and those poor hosts always have a difficult time in knowing how to prepare for their occasion. They might buy too much extra food and drinks or they might buy too little based on the response they had on their invitations.
RSVP is an abbreviation of the French phrase "Répondez s'il vous plaît." Translated it simply means "reply, if you please". To make it even more simple; it means, RESPOND. Period.
When you see RSVP on a party invitation, It does not mean:
1. Reply if you want to
2. Reply if you feel like it
3. Reply when you get around to it
4. Refreshments Served Very Promptly
5. I'm waiting to see if something better comes up for that date and time
6. Throw the invitation in a pile and forget about it.
7. Respond only if you're not coming
8. Respond the day of the party
9. Respond and then fail to show up
10. "Maybe" is not an acceptable reply
11. I'm family so of course I'm coming, why should I call?
12. And it most certainly does not mean show up with extra guests
Weddings and all other parties and events are very costly. Be considerate of your host and remember that they want you to have a great time.